11.20.2014

My Safety, My Comfort, My Peace & My Friend

I know you want some selfies.










That architecture tho.








Cobbler in a jar... Cute huh?












We found a tree in the closet :)


Family & Friends,

Congratulations to Megan and Ryan.  Olivia sent me the low down. (In pictures.) That's really exciting and I'm super happy for them. Even though I've never met Ryan. They look perfect for each other. FYI: I'm still so down to inherit hand me downs from Megan when I get home even though I'm twenty. Especially cause I'll be so out of the new trends. So feel free to hook me up :) ehhh ehh?

It's freezing, like 30 degrees and such.

Also I noticed Grandpas comment about sending me Oreos if I'm starving.... Why hesitate? 
I'm always starving for Oreos. And rolos. And Reese's. Except I really need to jump on this whole six months to sexy band wagon and start losing weight. The struggle.

We have a Zone Activity today with President Riggs so that should be a fun time. We won some sort of challenge a while back. Transfers are this week, on the twentieth. I don't think I or Sister Todd will be transferred, but you never know.

We set up our two foot tall Christmas tree so that's the best housekeeping news I have for you all. That and I've officially begun wearing my abominable snow man coat. Super cute. Also glad I will never use it again after this winter. ( in STG. :) it's claustrophobic.

Anyhow.

This is so last minute.

I try to put some quality time throughout the week in deciding and deciphering my thought process for each post. But this is just so last minute. One of those on the whim things where you plan on something for an extended period of time and then it hits you with…

You've got it all wrong.

So I'm starting over, on a whim.

I feel like somebody needs to read something other than what I had originally intended to post this time around. So I hope that whatever idea I propose today will touch an individual who was seeking for a little something more today.

I met a new friend this week.

As I was going about my usual routines I felt compelled to reach out to a specific person. And I happened to get to know a unique individual. How fun. And it was over Skype. (Wahoo) as we were talking we began discussing Christianity. The WHY of Christianity. Which really got me thinking, because the majority of the people we are teaching currently already have a background religion.  They seem to be well versed in the New Testament and stories of Christ.

As we were talking we were simply reviewing the Why of Christianity. I've thought about it a lot. I've thought about all the things I could discuss with this individual, or other individuals, who may wonder the same question. The Why of Christianity. Why we need a Savior. Why we follow him. I thought I would make it all into a post… Here... last minute... on a whim.

Because I have come to the conclusion I'm profoundly better at expressing my feelings, thoughts, intentions, ideas and my heart out in written word. Rather than exploiting it all at million mile speeds during a thirty minute discussion.

It's an organization malfunction I have in my head.
Is there a cure for that?

A Christian is a believer of Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Who was Jesus Christ?



"Behold, I am Jesus Christ the son of God...

...If ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine
arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him
will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me...
....and the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled." -3 Nephi 9

For years
And years
And years

Prophecies foretold a Savior would come to earth. To teach, to guide, and to save us all.

And he did come. Jesus Christ came to earth, he was born of Mary, in Bethlehem over 2000 years ago. Jesus was perfect, he never sinned. In fact he was the ONLY perfect person to ever live. He came here to show us the way, the example, to be a light unto all of us. He's our big brother, the ULTIMATE big brother. The one who not only sets an example for you, but holds you when you cry. Who loves you so much, he died for you.

When Jesus Christ was ministering to the people, not everyone believed what he taught. He taught about faith, having faith in God, having faith in him and his sacrifice. He taught how faith precedes miracles. Our faith is strengthened when it is tested. How we must act on faith. He taught repentance. How there is a need for each of us to change, how we can change, how we can become better and learn and grow as we strive to repent and change. He taught us to be baptized. To follow him. To make covenants, or promises with God, to try our best to be good. He taught about the Holy Spirit, how it is a gift, a comforter, a director, and a source of all truth. He asked us to seek out and listen to the spirit. He taught us to press on, to endure to the end. To keep going even when times get rough. He taught us to serve one another, love one another, to forgive, to be humble, to be virtuous, to find joy. He taught us lots of things, all good things.

He performed miracles. He raised people from the dead, multiplied fish and bread. He healed the sick, caused the blind to see. Jesus Christ worked by miracles according to others faith.

Still, some didn't believe him.

He suffered for the sins of the entire world, all who live now, and who ever lived. He felt every pain, heartache, concern, sadness, sorrow and grief. Every disappointment, let down, stubbed toe even. Everything. So that he could succor us his people. He bled from every pore. He did it all. And then he was betrayed, and crucified.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God, he only could perform such a task at hand.

He was beaten and scourged and hung on a wooden cross upon a hillside. A brutal death, he endured. He allowed his spirit to leave. His body hung there lifeless and the people carried it to a tomb, almost like a cave where they laid his body in linen to rest.

However, Jesus Christ prophesied before he died that he would return. In his body, resurrected. Not as someone new... like a reincarnation. But his lifeless body and his spirit would be whole again. His spirit didn't just drift away into a dark unknown abyss of nothingness. Rather, it's taught in Peter that when his spirit and body separated he appeared to others who had passed on, to their spirits, to teach them his gospel as well.


"He went and preached unto the spirits in prison..." -1 Peter 3:19

And then three days later he appeared.

"Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures..
...he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to
the scriptures:
..And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
..After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once."
-1 Corinthians 15:5

I think the greatest part of this story is this truth right here.

<insert resurrected Christ picture here>







That he lives.

He was born. He loved. He preached. He ministered. He walked the earth. He raised the dead. He forgave the sinner. He established his church. He set an example. He was perfect. He suffered our pains. He died on the cross.

But he didn't just "live"







HE LIVES.





now.
Present tense.
I think it is appropriate to reword my first question of


"Who WAS Jesus Christ?"
To



"Who IS Jesus Christ?"

He is our Savior, our Redeemer.
The one who can forgive us, strengthen us, enable us.
The one who we can follow and never be led astray.
Someone we can confidently put our faith and trust in.
Someone we can always turn to for help.
And he'll always be there.

Because he lives and forever will live.

Because of him we can live again.
Guiltless, shameless,
Happy

Free.

Through Christ we can be saved From pain, hurt, sorrow, sadness, guilt, shame, our sins 
and mistakes. From heartache, bad days, let downs, disappointments, awful news, 
longing for home.

Through Christ we can live again
In peace, joy and happiness.
Guiltless, faultless,
No more anxiety and stress
Full of love and hope and comfort and complete joy
With those we love. With God.

Through Christ
We can change

And only through Christ are these made possible.

Why wouldn't we rely on Christ for the wonderful blessings he has provided for us?
He set the perfect example, why should we not follow it?






"Who is he that will harm you if ye be followers
 of that which is good?" 
1 Peter 3:13


With Christ we can be, fearless.
Death has no sting
The grave has no victory
He overcame it all.
God has given us victory over all, as we follow Jesus Christ.


It is by his grace that we become great.
As Paul says...


"By the grace of God I am what I am.."
1 Corinthians 15



And isn't this too true?
Who would we be, who could we become, without the grace of Christ our Savior?

Where would you be without him?
Who can you become with him?


"If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."
John 13:17





Who is Jesus Christ?

To me, Jesus Christ is my Redeemer, my Savior, my Friend. My example, my direction, my comfort. My peace, hope and solace. My brother, teacher, instructor and guide. My goal, my joy, my understanding.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to be a part of Christ’s church. To learn of him and teach of him everyday. Even more so I'm grateful that I have a Savior. That he's there, and always will be. No matter how uncertain my future is, whether now or fifty years down the road, the one stable certainty I can rely on is my Savior. He won't change.

I'm grateful he died for me. I'm grateful that I can learn and grow and try and fail and turn to him to try again and succeed, because with Christ we win every time. You can't fail when your on the Lords errand. You can't lose. You won't lose.

I'm grateful that because of him I can find joy and peace. Even though I'm a stress case and get frazzled and irritated I can turn to him for reassurance guidance and love.

Honestly, I don't know how my life would be if I didn't have a knowledge of my Savior. And not only that but a sure foundation that he lives and loves me.






What is a Christian to me?
A Christian is a believer of Jesus Christ and his teachings.
A doer of Christ’s teachings.
An example of Christ’s teachings.
A follower of Christ’s teachings.





Who is Jesus Christ to you?
What is a Christian to you?


Let's talk about it,
Add me on Facebook or shoot me an email.


Share this post with friends via social networking.
And don't forget to click the FOLLOW button on the left column bar
to Receive updates on new posts
and Support this blog.








Until next week

Love You!


S.Stucki
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment